VERMONT (7-4, 1-2 AE) at UMBC (3-9-2, 0-2-2 AE) | SUNDAY, OCT. 8 2:00 PM | RETRIEVER SOCCER PARK | WATCH | LIVE STATS DAWG BYTES
– UMBC scored a pair of first-half goals en route to a 2-2 draw against the unbeaten Maine Black Bears, in an America East Conference contest on Sunday afternoon at Mahaney Diamond.
-Senior forward Meghan McKye headed in her team-leading fifth goal of the season and graduate student forward Natasha Munro contributed her third tally of the campaign to give the visitors a 2-0 lead at intermission. Freshman forward Payton Schenning and junior midfielder Esther Juretzka added assists.
– The Black Bears (7-0-4, 2-0-1 AE) cut the deficit in half on a free kick in the 58th minute as junior midfielder Lara Kirkby lofted the set-piece into the box for graduate student defender Doireann Fahey, who headed the ball past UMBC junior goalkeeper Abbey Cowles (2 saves).
– Maine, ranked #10 in the Atlantic Region, managed to get the equalizer with just 7:42 left when junior midfielder Kristna Kelly bent in a corner kick from the left side.
– McKye is 5th in the America East with .85 points per game (5 goals, 1 assist) thus far in 2023.
– Negrete is 11th on the circuit with .214 assists per game. In addition, she’s 7th in the conference with 0.86 shots on goal per game and is 18th in total shots (1.64 pg.)
-Graduate student forward Natasha Munro is sixth in the league with 0.86 shots on goal per game.
– Junior goalkeeper Abbey Cowles is second in the America East with 5.25 saves per game.
A GLANCE AT THE CATAMOUNTS
– Vermont picked up their first America East Conference victory last Sunday as they thrashed UMass Lowell, 6-1, in Burlington.
– The Catamounts led 2-0 at the break and then put the game out of reach in the second half. AE Offensive Player of the Week, graduate student forward Frances O’Donnell, led the charge with two goals, her first two of the season and added an assist.
– Junior Kate Bossert leads the squad with seven goals but has been held to just one tally over her last four contests. The striker has scored three game-winners this season. She has 14 goals in 40 career games.
– Junior Bailey Ayer has distributed a team-high five assists, including two in the 3-1 victory over Stonehill on Sept. 10.
– Sophomore forward Lauren DeGroot has contributed three goals off the bench this season.
– Sophomore Kylee Carafoli (442:40) and graduate student Erin Murphy (540:00) have split time in goal this season. Carafoli has a 1.02 goals against average while Murphy has yielded 1.50 goals per game. Murphy started 14 games last season.
INSIDE THE SERIES
– UMBC is 5-11-4 against Vermont all-time.
– Last season, the Retrievers and Catamounts played to a scoreless draw in Burlington. Morgan McGruder made four saves to earn the shutout.
– UMBC’s last victory in the series came on Oct. 17, 2017 when the Dawgs blanked the Catamounts, 1-0. Jessica Hopkins scored in the 32nd minute.